“Education is a natural process carried out by the child and is not acquired by listening to words but by experiences in the environment.”
– Dr. Maria Montessori
Dr. Maria Montessori developed this child-centered approach to education based on her scientific observations in Italy. “The basic idea of Montessori philosophy is that every child carries within him the man he will become.” – American Montessori Society
After careful observations, Dr. Montessori prepared the environment to meet the needs of children. She realized that children had the ability to concentrate when drawn to purposeful activities. She developed a hands-on curriculum that supports the holistic development of the child (physical, social, emotional, and cognitive development). She also discovered that there is a specific window or phase in a child’s development when they are most capable of and responsive to absorbing a certain skill.
The Montessori teaching method is based upon:
- The child’s creative potential
- The child’s desire to learn
- A child’s right to be treated as an individual
More information about the Montessori Method at amshq.org
Videos about the Montessori method available at infomontessori.com
- “Grace and Courtesy Beyond Please and Thank You.” Montessori Life, Spring 2016.
- “Toileting for Toddlers.” Montessori Life, Fall 2019.
- “The Magic of Montessori.” Montessori Life, Spring 2020.
- “The Joy of Reading to Children.” Montessori Life, Summer 2017.